Chimney Masonry Repair Providing Full & Partial Rebuilds
If your chimney has fallen into disrepair, it’s best to have it inspected and repaired sooner rather than later. When left alone, compromise to a chimney’s masonry can progress to the point of major structural damage and eventual chimney collapse.
Oliver Twist Chimney & Fireplace of Huntington Beach, CA, has been helping Southland homeowners for more than 30 years with prompt chimney masonry repair and rebuilding services. We can help you, too.
Common Signs of Masonry Problems
Sometimes, chimney damage happens all at once from an unexpected event (see below). Other times, it’s a gradual process, one that could be spotted in its early stages and fixed before the damage becomes widespread.
Here are six signs that your chimney’s masonry needs attention.
- Spalling (loose) bricks: Loose bricks will weaken the structure and allow water to seep in and cause further deterioration.
- Crumbling mortar between the bricks: Failure of a chimney’s mortar joints can lead to dangerous structural issues.
- White stains (efflorescence) on the exterior masonry: This is a sign that the bricks are taking on water.
- Black stains around the top of the chimney: Chimney fires, which can easily damage bricks and mortar, often leave sooty stains on the upper area of the masonry.
- Leaning chimney: Chimneys can lean because of masonry damage as well as problems with the chimney footing.
- Damp, musty odors coming from the fireplace: These odors point to water infiltrating the chimney system in some way, possibly through cracks in the masonry.
Old age and inferior materials or workmanship are the most common causes of masonry failure. Chimney damage can also be caused by earthquakes, lightning strikes and other unexpected events.
How to Address Chimney Masonry Damage
The Oliver Twist crew has solutions for all types of damage that your chimney masonry might be experiencing. Our first step is always a thorough chimney inspection, performed by one of our licensed and trained technicians. Following the inspection, we’ll know how extensive the problem is and what to do about it.
This is a process wherein our masons remove decayed mortar and add a strong new compound in its place. Chimney tuckpointing has saved many a Southern California chimney.
Individual bricks can be replaced with new bricks that are of superior quality and match the surrounding bricks. This will reinforce the chimney structure and add years to its life.
Partial chimney rebuilding
We can rebuild just the chimney stack (the part above the roof), the chimney breast (the part below the roof) or sections within either part. Beware of chimney companies that are quick to tell you that you need an entirely new chimney when you might just need small repairs.
Complete Chimney Rebuilding
By keeping an eye on early signs of chimney damage, as noted above, you can almost always prevent the need for a full rebuild.
In extreme cases – and we’ll explain this in detail – we’ll recommend a complete chimney rebuild. This involves completely removing the old brick and adding new mortar and new brick.
Call The Chimney Repair Experts Today
If your chimney needs professional repair, call the experts at Oliver Twist at (714) 843-9944. You can also reach out with our contact form.
We provide complete chimney services in Huntington Beach CA, Long Beach CA, Torrance CA, Anaheim CA, Santa Ana CA, Cerritos CA, Whittier CA, Newport Beach CA, Costa Mesa CA, and many more SoCal communities.