CSIA-Certified Technicians | Chimney Services
You may have seen the CSIA badge on chimney company trucks, uniforms or websites. Actually, there are several different badges a chimney professional might display. If you’ve always wondered what CSIA certification means, Oliver Twist Chimney & Fireplace of Huntington Beach would like to tell you.
What is the CSIA?
The Chimney Safety Institute of America, often referred to as “the CSIA,” is a nonprofit organization founded in 1983 with the goal of providing training, education and certification to chimney sweep technicians.
Recognized as an authority on chimney operation, chimney safety, cleaning and sweeping, venting and maintenance, the CSIA offers several certifications, including:
• CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep
• CSIA Certified Master Chimney Sweep
• CSIA Certified Chimney Specialist
• CSIA Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician
When you see a chimney, furnace or clothes dryer technician with any of these certifications, you know that the individual has undergone extensive training and demonstrated his or her expertise in the field.
What it takes to become CSIA-certified
The CSIA provides rigorous training and ongoing education to its membership. It requires a lot from a candidate before bestowing one of its certifications. Examples include:
- Successful passing of a detailed, hour-long examination covering topics from training publications written by the CSIA and the National Fire Protection Association
- Successful passing of a 90-minute exam based on the 2006 International Residential Code, published by the International Code Council
- Intensive day-long and week-long review sessions
- Signing and agreeing to abide by the strict CSIA Code of Ethics
- Annual payment of the CSIA certification fee
Jobs CSIA-certified Chimney Sweeps Perform
• Chimney cleaning to remove flammable creosote and draft-blocking debris
• All three levels of chimney inspection as designated by the CSIA
• Chimney repairs, including masonry work, chimney rebuilding and component replacement
• Technicians with dryer vent certifications work on the venting systems of clothes dryers and furnaces
Certified Chimney Sweeps
Once certified, the chimney sweep is qualified to perform a wide range of chimney services for residential and commercial customers. CSIA-certified technicians understand chimney venting and construction, creosote formation and removal, the physics of burning wood and gas, the latest EPA emissions requirements and much more.
Certified chimney sweeps also stay up on the building and fire safety codes that apply in the areas in which they work. In California, this is particularly important as our state codes are quite stringent and meticulous.
What this means for you
We’ve only touched on the many elements involved in training and certifying a qualified chimney technician. The takeaway for you is, when looking to hire a person or company to work on your chimney, look for the CSIA badge. It means the person you trust with your system will know it inside and out.
Oliver Twist employs CSIA-certified chimney sweeps. Our company is fully insured and licensed to do business in Huntington Beach CA, Long Beach CA, Torrance CA, Anaheim CA, Santa Ana CA, Rancho Palo Verdes CA, Rolling Hills CA, Carson CA, Downey CA, and other communities throughout Los Angeles and Orange counties.
Speak with a chimney and fireplace expert today by calling (714) 843-9944. You can also get in touch with our convenient contact form.